Project Accountant (Mid-to Senior-Level)
We are seeking an experienced Project Accountant who is skilled in Deltek and professional services accounting/consulting processes. This position may be remote, hybrid or in-person in any of the following states in which MIG has offices: California; Colorado; Oregon; Washington; Texas, but ideally located in Seattle, WA for in-person collaboration with project managers. Proof of up-to-date COVID-19 vaccination with booster(s) is required for MIG staff.
Collaborative Teammate: You will work as part of a cross-office, cross-discipline team of designers (landscape architects, architects and civil engineers) and urban planners that provides design and consultation in civil engineering and architecture, exhibit and wayfinding design for visitor-based projects. The team provides planning, programming, and design services to private non-profit, public agencies and private sector clients throughout the nation on projects that enhance community livability, support revitalization, and connect people with nature and culture.
Role: As the Project Accountant, you have an integral role in the offices’ billing and related administration that requires collaboration with office leadership and our headquarters (“Business Office”). You will also work closely with the Office Manager and a diverse team of professionals to help manage the invoicing, A/R, and project budgets as they relate to billing. You will report to the office’s Principals and Director of Operations primarily, and to the Director of Business Services for accounting, and the Chief Operating Officer and the Director of Human Resources for firmwide policies and the firmwide administrative/accounting support team.
Typical Duties: You will be responsible for the day-to-day accounting transactions. Duties include, but are not limited to the following and can expand if capacity is available:
- Project accounting/invoicing/project billing: Generate monthly invoices; coordinate with PMs and Principals for changes and to ensure accuracy with any requirements under the contract; submit invoices to client; process subconsultant A/P invoices.
- Project set up in Deltek including the project team, budgets, phases/tasks, and sub consultants.
- Contracts: Work with project teams to ensure contract compliance and understanding of contract terms; tracking for signatures and end dates; coordinate with PMs and Principals as needed for follow up and additional services or change letters.
- Project management/financial health: Analysis and reporting support; monitor, communicate and resolve accounting issues related to assigned projects with PMs and Principals; monitor and report monthly unbilled services balance to management; assist with follow through to recover losses; detail remedies for overages in a monthly Financial Health Report in Deltek.
- Expenses: Collect and verify expense receipts from staff, enter expenses into Deltek, submit expense report and backup to the Business Office for payment.
- Monthly A/R reporting and collecting: Coordinate with Principal/Director of Office Operations and Business Office for follow up on late payments and record updates in a monthly A/R report.
Back up general office duties: In the event of office manager and administrative assistant vacations, you may be asked to serve as contact for office staff for general administrative/office/expense and Deltek data entry tasks; coordinate with office vendors, couriers and suppliers; and help maintain a clean, organized and well-equipped office.
To accomplish these responsibilities, you will be able to manage competing priorities, think critically and creatively, work as part of a collaborative team in an open environment, and maintain a sense of humor and camaraderie. In addition, you will have some combination of the following qualifications:
- An Associate’s degree in any field. A Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in accounting or another field is a plus.
- Relevant experience in accounting (required). Experience with and understanding of applications of Federal Accounting Rules, office management and supporting projects in professional services consulting and design-build contracts is preferred.
- You have software proficiency in accounting software (Deltek or similar), Word and Excel (required). Experience using Deltek Vantage Point and Google Suite is a plus.
- Excellent skills in written and verbal communication for internal team communication as well as external client communication.
- You have a professional and approachable demeanor, positive attitude, and a sense of urgency and responsibility/dedication to ensure tasks are carried through to completion and in a timely manner.
- You are a proactive, organized, efficient, and adaptable teammate who can work under deadlines and is willing to pitch in to help others.