Current Planning: Associate and Senior Planner Positions
We are seeking an experienced Associate or Senior Planner to join our diverse team in either our Berkeley or Sacramento office. Proof of up-to-date COVID-19 vaccination is required for all MIG staff.
- Collaboration, Working Directly with Clients: You will work as part of a cross-office, cross-discipline team that provides a full range of planning services to public agencies.
- Project Work: You will work on-site at public agencies or at MIG offices to facilitate development entitlements and to implement planning programs and capital projects. In addition to on-site client services, you will have the opportunity to support a team of planners, designers, and project managers in all aspects of other planning projects, including meeting facilitation, research, writing, development of materials, meeting support, content analysis, administration and client interaction.
- Project Types: The projects you will typically work on will focus on implementing general plans, specific plans, downtown plans and municipal codes.
This is a full-time, hourly position. MIG works on projects nationwide; some travel, evening and weekend work will be required for community engagement, site evaluations, or to meet deadlines. MIG encourages a work-life balance, and these excess hours can be offset during the week when possible.
To accomplish the responsibilities, you must be able to manage competing priorities, think critically and creatively, work as part of a collaborative team in an open environment and maintain a sense of humor and camaraderie. In addition, you should have some combination of the following qualifications:
- A Bachelor’s degree in urban design/planning or a related field.
- Relevant experience working with a City or County in current planning and entitlement processing. Strong experience as an intern in a municipal current planning department is acceptable.
- Able to produce high-quality work products, including meeting or research summaries; planning documents and graphic presentations.
- An understanding and some experience with CEQA document preparing and processing is desirable.
- Able to speak easily and clearly in front of clients or groups and to participate in small and large group discussions.
- Excellent skills in written and verbal communication.
- Be an adaptable teammate who is willing to pitch in and help others.
- Software proficiency in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Adobe Creative Suite. Experience in GIS, AutoCAD, and/or SketchUp is a plus.