Transportation Policy and Outreach Project Manager
We seeking an experienced Transportation Policy and Public Outreach Project Manager to join our diverse teams in our Berkeley or Sacramento, California. While MIG staff are currently working remotely due to COVID, we anticipate resuming in-office work soon (with some potential for occasional remote work). Proof of up-to-date COVID-19 vaccination with at least one booster will be required for future in-person work.
Transportation-Centered Planning and Public Engagement: You will work as part of a multidisciplinary team that focuses on policy and strategic planning, public outreach and information, facilitation and consensus-building, and organizational development and training.
Managing Projects: You will provide overarching project direction, lead internal and external teams, manage projects including scopes of work, budgets, and schedules to help our public, private, and non-profit clients create innovative and equitable plans and solutions.
Project Work: In addition to managing projects, you will also be able to help produce these plans with the team and facilitate meetings for these projects.
Project Types: The projects you will typically work on will include transportation policies and plans that are developed with a robust public engagement process. They may include regional and statewide policies, planning and design of streetscapes and improvements to state highway system, multi-modal plans, mobility hubs, stakeholder assessment and outreach, strategic communications, and equity-centered training and visioning.
This is a full-time, hourly position. This position will work on projects primarily throughout the state of California and some travel, evening, and weekend work will be required for community engagement efforts, client meetings, or to meet deadlines. MIG encourages a work-life balance, and these excess hours can be offset during the week when possible.
To accomplish the responsibilities, you will be able to manage competing priorities, think critically and creatively, work as part of a collaborative team in an open environment; and maintain a sense of humor and camaraderie. In addition, you will have some combination of the following knowledge, skills and experience:
- A Bachelor’s degree in planning, public policy, or related field. (A Master’s degree in complementary field is a plus)
You have relevant experience in the following areas:
- Working in transportation, land use, community planning or a closely related field and have current or past working relationships with Caltrans, metropolitan planning organizations, regional transportation planning agencies and/or other transportation agencies. California experience desired.
- Developing and implementing public engagement plans.
- Developing collaborative, productive and respectful relationships with community members, organizations, and partners, including but not limited to low-income communities and communities of color.
- Managing private-sector projects, including maintaining compliance with a project contracts, drafting and managing scopes budgets, and schedules, as well as working with clients and partners to execute the project work.
- Participating in marketing and business development opportunities, develop proposals for prospective projects, participate in interviews, and develop and maintain potential client and partner relationships is a plus.
- You are local or willing to relocate to Sacramento, CA or the Berkeley, CA/Bay Area to attend regular client meetings.
- You understand the importance of advancing more equitable outcomes for communities related to transportation and land use planning.
- You are able to speak in front of groups and facilitate small and large group discussions and trainings in-person and on-line.
- You have excellent skills in document presentation and written and verbal communication.
- You are an adaptable teammate who is willing to pitch in and help others on the MIG team.
- You have software proficiency in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Adobe Acrobat Pro. (Adobe Creative Suite software skills are a plus.)
- Spanish language skills are desirable but not required.