MIG’s in-house creative services team specializes in branding, marketing and strategic communications that promote social causes and advance the common good. With a focus on equity and inclusivity, we partner primarily with public-sector agencies to improve local communities and the world we live in. We are active in a wide variety of sectors, including resource conservation (e.g., water and recycling), clean energy, transportation and traffic safety, community health and social welfare. Our team is motivated by meaningful work.
We seek an experienced Art Director with an established portfolio and design approach to join our award-winning creative team. You will be immersed in a multidisciplinary environment, collaborating with MIG's creative team of marketing strategists, project managers, writers and designers, as well as with a broader group of outreach specialists, policy consultants, urban planners, environmental designers and others from across the firm. We believe that diverse disciplines, backgrounds and perspectives inspire the best solutions.
This is a hands-on role. You will provide overarching design direction, lead concept development and bring your ideas to life. You should possess the skills and experience to handle a broad range of media, such as print collateral, integrated advertising campaigns, digital advertising, animation and video production and website and interaction design.
We are looking for someone with the following traits:
You are creative—motivated by a passion for innovative and inspirational design.
You are curious—interested in understanding complex concepts and explaining them in a compelling and accessible way.
You are agile—able to juggle multiple priorities with grace and humor.
You are dedicated—focused on achieving client goals and providing the highest quality of work.
You love variety—thriving on diverse topics and a wide range of issues.
You appreciate life off the beaten path—out of the corporate rat race and at work in Berkeley’s Fourth Street district.
- Lead the development of comprehensive branding and marketing campaigns from initial strategy through implementation.
- Provide overarching design leadership, and design direction for multiple projects—both print and interactive.
- Champion design standards and systems
- Develop creative concepts, design assets and visual treatments across a variety of media types
- Meet with clients to present design concepts and effectively articulate strategies.
- Collaborate with MIG’s team of graphic designers, writers and project managers to share ideas and encourage growth.
- 5-10 years senior level experience at a creative services or similar environment
- BFA, MFA, related degree in graphic design or comparable work experience
- Strong communication and collaboration skills with the ability to build relationships within the team, across the firm and with clients
- Proven portfolio demonstrating strategy-driven design solutions in a range of media types
- Experience explaining creative concepts and articulating design directions to clients
- Strong understanding of typography, design systems, and branding: publication design experience a plus
- Ability to work independently and/or partner with other team members
- Experience mentoring designers or leading a design team
- Self-motivated with a positive attitude, open mindset and desire to continually improve
- Strong time management, organizational skills and attention to detail
- Expert knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite: InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator; Experience with XD, Premiere, and After Effects desired
Potential candidates should demonstrate their expertise through a comprehensive portfolio of work that shows an overarching passion for design in a variety of media, an understanding of particular project goals and how best to achieve them. We are searching for an art director with maturity and established experience that is also eager to stay on top of emerging trends and technologies and open to explore new directions in design.