Director of Landscape Architecture
We are seeking an experienced, senior professional to be our Director of Landscape Architecture for our community and environmental design team in Berkeley, California. While all staff at MIG are currently remote due to Covid, the person in this position must be able to work from our Berkeley office the majority of the week when we reopen.
- Collaborative Teammate: You will lead project teams, working as part of a cross-office, cross-discipline team that emphasizes community and environmental design for children, youth and families; parks and recreation, streets, and programming of community facilities for public and private-sector clients across the U.S.
- Managing Projects: You will provide overarching project direction to MIG staff and oversight of work products; lead internal and external subconsultant and client teams; and develop and manage projects including scopes of work, budgets, and schedules. In addition, Directors and Project Managers at MIG maintain client relationships; identify the correct course of action to the client; represent clients at public hearings and meetings; and set the standards for excellence, responsiveness, and accountability.
- Project Work: You will be leading teams and creating bold, innovative, and equitable design solutions. You will work closely with a team of designers and planners to produce project deliverables, develop forward-thinking designs, strategies, reports, analyses, mapping, construction documents, and graphic materials, and to facilitate project and public meetings.
- Project Types: Typical projects you’ll work on include streetscape design; park planning and design; site and landscape design for public and private buildings; trails; plazas; campus master plans; children’s play environments; and community engagement (including online meetings and tools).
- Client Development: You will help build and maintain strong and responsive client relationships by developing leads, preparing proposals, and helping to define market gaps and new opportunities.
- Leadership Role: Directors at MIG serve as a leader for the firm and group, working together with staff to ensure effective project management, mentor, supervise and train staff, conduct business development, and keep an eye on MIG’s vision, purpose, and reputation in the professional and regulatory community.
This is a full-time position. MIG works on projects nationwide; some travel, evening, and weekend work will be required for community engagement, site evaluations, or to meet deadlines. MIG encourages a work-life balance, and these excess hours can be offset during the week when possible.
To accomplish the responsibilities, you will be able to lead a team, manage competing priorities, think critically and creatively, work as part of a collaborative team in an open environment, mentor staff, and maintain a sense of humor and camaraderie. In addition, you have some combination of the following qualifications:
- You will have a Bachelor’s degree in landscape architecture, urban design/planning, architecture, or related field (a Master’s degree in a complementary field is a plus.)
- You are a licensed landscape architect in any state (California licensure is a plus).
- You are local or willing to relocate to the Berkeley area to attend client meetings and lead teams.
- Demonstrated experience managing public- and private-sector projects, including maintaining compliance with project contracts, drafting and managing scopes budgets, and maintaining schedules, as well as working with clients and partners to execute project work.
- The ability to prepare and deliver effective public presentations, lead working meetings, and speak easily and clearly in front of groups and can facilitate client and stakeholder meetings.
- You have strong construction document and construction management experience.
- You have excellent skills in reviewing graphics and document presentation, and written and verbal communication.
- You are an adaptable teammate who is willing to pitch in and help others.
- You have software proficiency in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, AutoCAD, and Adobe Creative Suite
- You can actively participate in marketing and business development opportunities, develop proposals for prospective projects, participate in interviews, and develop and maintain potential client and partner relationships.
- You are a people person, with an ability to develop collaborative, productive, and respectful relationships with community members, organizations, and partners.