Director Landscape Architecture
We are excited to be growing our landscape design studio and are seeking an experienced, senior professional to assume a Director role focused on Landscape Architecture in our Berkeley office. MIG supports a hybrid work-from-home/remote and in-office schedule, but encourages in-person work for learning and team-building opportunities. Proof of up-to-date COVID-19 vaccination will be required for in-person work. The person in this position must be able to work from our Berkeley office for a portion of each week and attend in-person business development and client meetings.
Collaborative Teammate: You will work as part of a cross-office, cross-discipline team that creates designs for communities, parks and recreation, streets, and programming of community facilities for public and private-sector clients across the U.S. You will work with a team of directors and principals in the Denver office.
Managing Projects: You will provide overarching project and design direction to MIG staff and oversight of work products; lead internal and external subconsultant and client teams; and develop and manage projects including scopes of work, budgets, and schedules. In addition, Directors and Project Managers at MIG maintain client relationships; identify the correct course of action to the client; represent clients at public hearings and meetings; and set the standards for excellence, responsiveness, and accountability.
Project Work: You will be leading teams and creating bold, innovative, and equitable design solutions in the private and public sector. You will work closely with a team of designers and planners to produce project deliverables, develop forward-thinking designs, strategies, reports, analyses, mapping, construction documents, graphic materials, facilitate project and public meetings, and will work closely with junior- and mid-level staff to support their ability to work on projects.
Project Types: Typical projects you’ll work on include park planning and design; sports and recreation facility design; trails and non-motorized transportation plans; streetscape planning and design; site and landscape design for public and private buildings, plazas, and turban environments; campus master plans; children’s play environments; and community engagement (including online meetings and tools). At MIG we are particularly interested in projects that support equity and inclusion
Client Development: You will help build and maintain strong and responsive client relationships by developing leads, preparing proposals, and helping to define market gaps and new opportunities.
Leadership Role: Directors at MIG serve as a leader for the firm and group, working together with staff to ensure effective project management, mentor, supervise and train staff, conduct business development, and keep an eye on MIG’s vision, purpose, and reputation in the professional and regulatory community.
MIG works on projects nationwide; some travel, evening, and weekend work may be required for community engagement, site evaluations, or to meet deadlines. MIG encourages a work-life balance, and these excess hours can be offset during the week when possible.
To accomplish the responsibilities, you will be able to lead a team, manage competing priorities, think critically and creatively, work as part of a collaborative team in an open environment, mentor staff, and maintain a sense of humor and camaraderie. In addition, you have some combination of the following qualifications:
- A Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in landscape architecture from an accredited university.
- You are a licensed landscape architect or willing and soon able to obtain licensure in California.
- You are local or willing to relocate to the Berkeley area to attend client meetings and lead teams.
- Strong construction document and construction administration experience.
- Demonstrated experience managing public- and private-sector projects, including maintaining compliance with project contracts, drafting and managing scopes budgets, and maintaining schedules, as well as working with clients and partners to execute project work.
- The ability to prepare and deliver effective public presentations, lead working meetings, and speak effectively in front of groups to facilitate client and stakeholder meetings.
- Ability to actively participate in marketing and business development opportunities, develop proposals for prospective projects, participate in interviews, and develop and maintain potential client and partner relationships.
- You are an excellent communicator who provides clear, collaborative, and productive written and verbal communication.
- You are capable of developing collaborative, productive, and respectful relationships with community members, organizations, and partners.
- Excellent skills in reviewing work products and providing direction to staff.
- You are an adaptable teammate who is willing to pitch in and help others.
- You have software proficiency in AutoCAD, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Proficiency in the Adobe Creative Suite and Deltek are a plus.