Project Manager: Urban Design/Planning
We are seeking an experienced Urban Design/Planning Project Manager to join our diverse team of professionals in either our Berkeley or Sacramento, California office.
- Project Management: You will provide overarching project direction to MIG staff and oversight of work products; lead internal and external subconsultant and client teams; and develop and manage projects including scopes of work, budgets, and schedules. In addition, Project Managers at MIG maintain client relationships; identify the correct course of action to the client; represent clients at public hearings and meetings; and set the standards for excellence, responsiveness, and accountability.
- Project Work: As a project manager, you be leading teams as well as creating bold, innovative, and equitable urban design solutions. You will work closely with planners, designers, landscape architects and engineers to produce project deliverables, develop forward-thinking designs, strategies, reports, analyses, mapping, and graphic materials, and to facilitate project meetings.
- Project Types: Typical projects you’ll work on include streetscape designs, corridor plans, downtown plans, general plans, specific plans, station area plans, transit-oriented development, and neighborhood plans.
- Business and Client Development: You will help build and maintain strong and responsive client relationships by developing leads, preparing proposals, attending and leading interviews, and helping to define market gaps and new opportunities.
- Leadership Opportunities: This position offers potential to grow into a Director position, serving as a leader for the firm and group, working together with staff to ensure effective project management and conduct business development, while keeping an eye on MIG’s vision, purpose and reputation in the professional and regulatory community.
This is a full-time position. MIG works on projects nationwide; some travel, evening, and weekend work will be required for community engagement, site evaluations, or to meet deadlines. MIG encourages a work-life balance, and these excess hours can be offset during the week when possible.
To accomplish the responsibilities, you will be able to manage competing priorities, think critically and creatively, work as part of a collaborative team in an open environment, and maintain a sense of humor and camaraderie. In addition, you have some combination of the following qualifications:
- You will have a Bachelor’s degree in urban design/planning, architecture, landscape architecture, or related field. (A Master’s degree in a complementary field is a plus.)
- You have relevant consulting experience working in planning or a closely related field.
- You are local or willing to relocate to the Berkeley or Sacramento area to participate in work directly with our teams and clients.
- Demonstrated experience managing private-sector projects, including maintaining compliance with project contracts, drafting and managing scopes budgets, and maintaining schedules, as well as working with clients and partners to execute project work.
- The ability to prepare and deliver effective public presentations, lead working meetings, and speak easily and clearly in front of groups and facilitate client and stakeholder meetings.
- You have excellent skills in graphics and document presentation and written and verbal communication.
- You are an adaptable teammate who is willing to pitch in and help others.
- You have software proficiency in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Adobe Creative Suite.
- You can actively participate in marketing and business development opportunities, develop proposals for prospective projects, participate in interviews, and develop and maintain potential client and partner relationships.
- You are a people person, with an ability to develop collaborative, productive, and respectful relationships with community members, organizations, and partners.
- As a plus, you are bilingual with Spanish language skills.