Senior Ecologist / Biologist
For over 35 years, MIG has engaged the talents and vitality of top professionals who share our commitment to biological and ecological science, landscape design, and green infrastructure engineering. We are seeking a motivated, experienced professional for a Senior Ecologist/Biologist position who shares our passion for working on important, transformative, sustainable and reslient environmental projects and has a desire to help manage the environment in a time of rapid change and disruption.
- Direct sales and marketing efforts and business development.
- Habitat assessments and site surveys in a variety of ecosystems
- Sensitive and endangered species surveys
- Biological Assessments in support of Biological Opinions
- Support for environmental analysis, environmental impact reports and CEQA/NEPA biological impact analyses;
- Caltrans biological documents
- Wetland delineations per federal and California Coastal Commission guidelines, including the arid west requirements
- Preconstruction surveys and biological monitoring
- Biological permit applications and consulting with clients on permit compliance issues
- GIS spatial analysis and mapping for biological assessments and habitat conservation planning
- Habitat conservation plans, natural community protection plans, watershed protection plans
Manage projects, including:
- Maintain client relationships and identify the correct course of action to the client
- Develop and manage the schedule and the budget
- Give clear direction to MIG staff
- Set the standards for excellence, responsiveness and accountability
- Manage subconsultants
- Review staff work products
- Keep informed of progress and problems and provide updates to management
- Represent MIG at meetings, hearings and other public forums
- Complete the process, as appropriate, to ensure client satisfaction
Prepare and deliver effective public presentations and lead working meetings with agencies and the public.
Work cross-office with multidisclipinary teams including biologists, planners, community outreach specalists and and landscape architects.
The ideal candidate will possess an ability and passion for working with MIG's landscape architecture and green infrastructure engineering professionals, to apply biological and ecological science to the restoration of degraded ecosystems. MIG sees opportunities for restoration ecology across a wide spectrum of urban as well as non-urban environments.
- Degree in biology, ecology, botany, or related natural resources field
- 5+ years of relevant project experience in environmental consulting, including familiarity with:
- Plant species identification using a dichotomous key
- California wetland types and state and federal regulatory permitting processes
- Aquatic and terrestrial wildlife species identification and habitat assessment in California
- Construction monitoring/management and worker environmental awareness training
- Conducting fieldwork in challenging terrain and weather conditions as necessary
- Microsoft Office Suite, Google Suite, Adobe Acrobat Pro and ArcGIS
- Candidates must demonstrate independent judgment and an ability to make decisions and manage multiple priorities and people.
- You must have strong organizational skills, diligence and attention to detail, and ability to research and solve analytical problems.
- You must demonstrate strong written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to convey technical information in a clear, concise manner.