Landscape Designer or Landscape Architect
We are seeking an entry- to mid-level Landscape Designer and/or an experience, licensed Landscape Architect to join our diverse team of professionals in our Los Angeles office. MIG’s offices are currently closed due to Covid and all staff are working remotely, this position will need to be in-person with some potential for occasional remote work when we eventually re-open.
Collaborative Teammate: You will work as part of a cross-office, cross-discipline team that creates designs for communities, parks and recreation, streets, and programming of community facilities for public and private-sector clients across the U.S.
Project Types: Typical projects you’ll work on include streetscape design; park planning and design; site and landscape design for public and private buildings; trails; plazas; campus landscape design and master plans; healthcare facilities; children’s play environments; and community engagement (including online meetings and tools).
Project Work: You will support a team of landscape architects, planners, and project managers on landscape architecture projects in the public and private sector. Depending on the role you are applying for, your responsibilities will vary by project but will typically include:
- If you are an entry or mid-level Landscape Designer: You will support our design studio, working with lead designers or project managers with tasks such as site analysis, site design, problem solving, construction detailing, planting plans, selection and design of site amenities and paving systems, aesthetic detailing, and project research. This work will result in the production of conceptual exhibits, illustrative graphics, and full construction document sets. Other responsibilities may include conducting project research and project reports; preparing design presentations; providing support in developing cost estimates; responding to construction submittals and questions; providing sub-consultant and client coordination; and attending client meetings.
- If you are an experienced Landscape Architect: You will be leading teams and creating bold, innovative, and equitable design solutions. You will work closely with a team of designers and planners to produce project deliverables, develop forward-thinking designs, strategies, construction documents, and graphic materials, and to facilitate project and public meetings. You will provide overarching project direction to MIG staff and oversight of work products; lead internal and external subconsultant and client teams; and develop and manage projects including scopes of work, budgets, and schedules. In addition, Project Managers at MIG maintain client relationships; identify the correct course of action to the client; represent clients at public hearings and meetings; and set the standards for excellence, responsiveness, and accountability.
This is a full-time, hourly position. MIG works on projects nationwide; some travel, evening, and weekend work will be required for community engagement, site evaluations, or to meet deadlines. MIG encourages a work-life balance and these excess hours can be offset during the week when possible.
To accomplish the responsibilities, you will be able to manage competing priorities, think critically and creatively, work as part of a collaborative team in an open environment, and maintain a sense of humor and camaraderie. In addition, you have some combination of the following qualifications:
- A Bachelor’s degree in landscape architecture or a related field (A Master’s degree in a complementary field is a plus.)
- You are local or willing to relocate to work in the downtown Los Angeles office (post-COVID) to attend client meetings and work closely with the team.
- You can produce high-quality work products, including but not limited to complete construction document drawing sets and illustrative site plan and site detail graphics.
- Ability to participate collaboratively in small and large group discussions.
- Excellent skills in graphics and document presentation and written and verbal communication. Plant identification and hand-drawn graphic skills are a plus.
- You are an adaptable teammate who is willing to pitch in and help others.
- Software proficiency in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, AutoCAD, SketchUp and Adobe Creative Suite. Experience in ArcGIS, Lumion, Revit, and/or Rhino is a plus.
In addition to the above, experienced Landscape Architect candidates should also have the following qualifications:
- Relevant consulting experience working in or with other landscape designers or a closely related field with strong construction document and construction management experience. Experience collaborating with architectural firms is a plus.
- Demonstrated experience managing public- and private-sector projects, including maintaining compliance with project contracts, drafting and managing scopes budgets, and maintaining schedules, as well as working with clients and partners to execute project work.
- You can actively participate in marketing and business development opportunities, develop proposals for prospective projects, participate in interviews, and develop and maintain potential client and partner relationships.
- You are a people person, with an ability to develop collaborative, productive, and respectful relationships with community members, organizations, and partners.
- The ability to prepare and deliver effective public presentations, lead working meetings, and speak easily and clearly in front of groups and can facilitate client and stakeholder meetings.