Project Associate - Planning/Design
We are seeking an entry- to mid-level urban planning or landscape design project associate to join our diverse team in our Portland office. Remote work opportunities are available, but ideally you will be located in the Portland area.
- Collaboration: You will work as part of a cross-office, cross-discipline team that creates designs and plans for communities of all size across the U.S., as well as for higher education institutions and campuses and development projects for both public and private sector clients.
- Project Work: You will support a team of planners, designers, and project managers in all aspects of project design and implementation, including meeting facilitation, research, writing, developing materials, meeting support, content analysis, administration and client interaction.
- Project Types: Projects will include downtown, corridor, specific and current plans; parks and recreation system plans; zoning codes and design standards; historic preservation; and public engagement support, including online tools.
This is a full-time, hourly position. MIG works on projects nationwide; some travel, evening and weekend work will be required for community engagement and site evaluations, or to meet deadlines. MIG encourages a work-life balance, and these excess hours can be offset during the week when possible.
You must be able to manage competing priorities, think critically and creatively, work as part of a collaborative team in an open environment, and maintain a sense of humor and camaraderie. In addition, you must have some combination of the following qualifications:
- A Bachelor’s degree in urban design/planning or a related field. (A Master’s degree in a complementary field is a plus.)
- Relevant consulting experience in planning, urban design, policy, community engagement or a closely related field.
- Ability to produce high-quality work products, including meeting or research summaries; planning document and poster board layouts; and mapping.
- Excellent skills in graphics and document presentation and written and verbal communication.
- Ability to speak easily and clearly in front of groups and to participate in small and large group discussions.
- Be an adaptable teammate who is willing to pitch in and help others.
- Software proficiency in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Adobe Creative Suite. Experience in GIS, and/or SketchUp is a plus.
- As a plus, you are bilingual with Spanish or Vietnamese language skil