Senior Project Accountant
Our downtown Seattle office is seeking an experienced, full-time accounting professional to be our Senior Project Accountant. While MIG’s offices are currently closed due to Covid and all staff are working remotely, this position will need to be in-person in Seattle when our offices re-open.
Collaborative Teammate: You will work as part of a cross-office, cross-discipline team of designers (landscape architects, architects and civil engineers) and urban planners that provides design and consultation in civil engineering and architecture, exhibit and wayfinding design for visitor-based projects. The team provides planning, programming, and design services to private non-profit, public agencies and private sector clients throughout the nation on projects that enhance community livability, support revitalization, and connect people with nature and culture.
Role: As the Project Accountant, you have an integral role in the offices’ billing and related administration that requires collaboration with office leadership and our headquarters (“Business Office”). You will also work closely with the Office Manager and a diverse team of professionals to help manage the invoicing, A/R, and project budgets as they relate to billing. You will report to the office’s Principals and Director of Operations primarily, and to the Director of Business Services for accounting, and the Chief Operating Officer and the Director of Human Resources for firmwide policies and the firmwide administrative/accounting support team.
Typical Duties: You will be responsible for the day-to-day accounting for trade payable and expense reimbursement transactions. Duties include, but are not limited to the following and can expand if capacity is available:
- Project accounting/invoicing/project billing: Generate monthly invoices; coordinate with PMs and Principals for changes and to ensure accuracy with any requirements under the contract; submit invoices to client; process subconsultant A/P invoices.
- Project set up in Deltek including the project team, budgets, phases/tasks, and sub consultants.
- Contracts: Work with project teams to ensure contract compliance and understanding of contract terms; tracking for signatures and end dates; coordinate with PMs and Principals as needed for follow up and additional services or change letters.
- Project management/financial health: Analysis and reporting support; monitor, communicate and resolve accounting issues related to assigned projects with PMs and Principals; assist with follow through to recover losses; detail remedies for overages in a monthly Financial Health Report in Deltek.
- Expenses: Collect and verify expense receipts from staff, enter expenses into Deltek, submit expense report and backup to the Business Office for payment.
- Monthly A/R reporting and collecting: Coordinate with Principal/Director of Office Operations and Business Office for follow up on late payments and record updates in a monthly A/R report.
- Resource Planning: Facilitate entries and updates to Deltek Resource Planning in coordination with Project Managers.
- General office duties: Serve as contact for office staff for general administrative/ office/accounting/HR questions; work with other office administrators to manage relationships with office vendors, couriers and suppliers; and help maintain a clean, organized and well-equipped office.
To accomplish these responsibilities, you will be able to manage competing priorities, think critically and creatively, work as part of a collaborative team in an open environment, and maintain a sense of humor and camaraderie. In addition, you will have some combination of the following qualifications:
- An Associate’s degree in any field. A Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in accounting or another field is a plus.
- Relevant experience in accounting (required). Experience with and understanding of applications of Federal Accounting Rules, office management and supporting projects in professional services consulting and design-build contracts is preferred.
- You are local to or willing to relocate to the Seattle area to work full-time from the office (post-covid).
- Excellent skills in written and verbal communication for internal team communication as well as external client communication.
- You have a professional and approachable demeanor, positive attitude, and a sense of urgency and responsibility/dedication to ensure tasks are carried through to completion and in a timely manner.
- You are a proactive, organized, efficient, and adaptable teammate who can work under deadlines and is willing to pitch in to help others.
- You have software proficiency in Deltek Vision, Word and Excel (required). Experience using Deltek Vantage Point and Google Suite is a plus.