Senior Project Manager: Planning/Urban Design
We are excited to be growing our newest MIG office in downtown Brooklyn and are seeking an experienced Planning/Urban Design Senior Project Manager to join our and our diverse team of professionals working across the country. This position will need to be partially in-person for MIG team and client meetings, with options for part-time hybrid remote work. Proof of up-to-date COVID-19 vaccination with at least one booster is required at MIG for future in-person work.
Project Types: Typical projects you’ll work on include streetscape concepts, corridor plans, downtown plans, comprehensive plans, subarea plans, station area plans, transit-oriented development, campus plans, parks and recreation plans, and neighborhood plans.
Project Work: As a project manager, you will be coordinating teams as well as creating bold, innovative, and equitable planning and urban design solutions. You will be expected to produce high-quality work products and work closely with other planners, designers, landscape architects and engineers to produce project deliverables, develop forward-thinking designs, strategies, reports, analyses, mapping, and graphic materials, and to facilitate project meetings.
Project Management: You will provide overarching project direction to MIG staff and oversight of work products; lead internal and external subconsultant teams; and develop and manage projects including scopes of work, budgets, and schedules. In addition, project managers at MIG maintain client relationships; represent clients at public hearings and meetings; and set the standards for excellence, responsiveness, and accountability.
Collaborative Teammate: You will be the day-to-day lead for multiple project teams, working as part of a cross-office, cross-discipline team that creates innovative plans for communities of all size across the U.S., as well as for both public and private sector clients. MIG is co-located with W Architecture and Landscape Architecture in Brooklyn, creating yet another opportunity for creative teaming and project approaches.
Business and Client Development: You will help build and maintain strong and responsive client relationships by developing leads, preparing proposals, attending interviews, and helping to define market gaps and new opportunities.
MIG works on projects nationwide; some travel, evening, and weekend work will be required for community engagement, site evaluations, or to meet deadlines. MIG encourages a work-life balance, and these excess hours can be offset during the week when possible.
To accomplish the responsibilities, you will be able to manage competing priorities, think critically and creatively, work as part of a collaborative team in an open environment, and maintain a sense of humor and camaraderie. In addition, you have some combination of the following qualifications:
- A Bachelor’s degree in urban design/planning, architecture, landscape architecture, or related field. (A Master’s degree in a these or a complementary field is a plus.)
- Relevant consulting experience working in planning or a closely related field and experience producing plan documents and delivering effective public presentations are required.
- You are local or willing to relocate to the Brooklyn area to participate in work directly with our teams and clients.
- Demonstrated experience managing public-sector projects, including maintaining compliance with project contracts, drafting and managing scopes budgets, and maintaining schedules, as well as working with clients and partners to execute project work.
- The ability to lead working meetings, and speak easily and clearly in front of groups and facilitate client and stakeholder meetings.
- Excellent skills in graphics and document presentation and written and verbal communication.
- Adaptability and willingness to work as a teammate to pitch in and help others.
- Software proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite and Microsoft Office Suite. Experience in GIS, AutoCAD, and/or SketchUp is a plus.
- Ability to actively participate in or lead marketing and business development opportunities, develop proposals for prospective projects, participate in interviews, and develop and maintain potential client and partner relationships.
- An ability to develop collaborative, productive, and respectful relationships with community members, organizations, and partners.
- As a plus, you are bilingual with Spanish or other language skills.